Thursday, September 15, 2011

Baseball Display



The baseball display and is up! This past Tuesday, I spent most of my time at the Archives creating the display, with some much appreciated assistance from Sarah Leckie. The display is split into two sections. The left side chronicles just a few of the many different teams that have been on PC's campus since the early 1900s, while the right side highlights famous players and influential coaches. There are even a few baseball cards and copies of the Diamond Club Newsletter, the newsletter for the bluehose baseball team. We even have the original drawing for the new baseball complex on display. So, if you're interested, please come up to the second floor of the library, and visit the area outside of the archives to see the baseball exhibit.

In making the exhibit, I had to polish several skills that I don't normally use every day. One, is spatial awareness. If you know me, you know that I cannot operate without running into walls, tables, and chairs everywhere I go. So for someone who doesn't have a very good idea of space, spacing things out was a bit difficult for me, especially before I figured out how the display should be set up. The number of photo frames I had to work with seemed overwhelming. I had to somehow figure out how to display so many different things - pictures of teams, pictures of individuals, baseball cards, gloves, media guides, and even an actual baseball. So after panicking a bit, I did what I do best, and channeled my OCD. After sorting the picture frames into team photos, individual photos, and caption excerpts, I realized that the most logical system of display was to show the progression of PC baseball in one area by showing the teams through the years. I used the other shelf to highlight particular players and coaches. By employing my organization skills, I was able to overcome my spatial difficulty. 

After solving the issue of how to display the items, everything went very smoothly, and I must say that I'm quite proud of what I've done. Having gotten all the pictures up, however, I had to solve the quandary of what to do with all the extra things, such as the gloves, balls, cards. I decided to use them as accent pieces and started decorating. Now, I've never thought of myself as a decorator. Aiming to make sure everything was visible and that one side of the exhibit was not more crowded than another, I tried my best. To my surprise, my best was fantastic. The exhibit looked amazing, and even Sarah and Mrs. Griffith said so. They even said I could make my own display if I wanted to, though I have no idea what I would focus on for it. Tackling another project sounds exciting though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment